Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Tunic becomes a Skirt

I got past to the ribbing and realized my guage was way off row-wise, so I tried just working fewer rounds. That doesn’t help with the neckline decrease though.

Anyway, I tried it on the other day. It’s knit in a bulky yarn, and something Lori said struck me - I’m not overly large, but a bulky yarn sweater, esp. a fitted one, makes me look HUGE. DH saw me trying it on, and when he couldn’t refrain from laughing I knew the gig was up.

So here I was, trying to wrestle my way back out of it, and ended up taking it down instead of up to take it off. Pause, glance in mirror… It looked really cute, as a skirt. Plus, at this guage and in this yarn, it's certainly firm enough to be a skirt.

skirtidea
I let it rest for a day or so while I pondered the idea, and I decided to go for it. The hard part right now is I want to do a few decreases above the hip before the waist, and I’m trying to figure out how to do that and maintain the ribbing as well as possible.

Skirtidea2
I want them to fall here on the backside, and I'd like to maintain the ribbing as much as possible. I need to decrease about 8 stitches overall, two per dart. I want to keep the vertical lines from the outside ribbing and bring them in - first across a purl rib, then across a knit rib. I have about 16 rounds to work them in. I don't want it to be too abrupt, but I don't want to drag them out forever, either.

2 comments:

Maggi said...

A Skirt instead of a tunic, pretty clever!

And knitting in your sleep, even more clever. You really were sleeping--and knitting??? So did you know he took the picture? I am just cracking up!

Unknown said...

Well, it just looks like I'm sleeping. I was pretty tired, but mostly it was the angle he was taking it from. :) Thanks for commenting!