Saturday, September 6, 2008

Traveling Stitches


DSC03754
Originally uploaded by andreatoman
I used my new Lamb's Pride to cast on for the Estes Vest frm the Fall 08 Interweave Knits. It has a gorgous honeycomb pattern with traveling stitches that was pretty easy to follow once I got started. I spent a lot of time knitting over the weekend, especially the long trip back from Rapid City.
I made a few discoveries when working on this pattern. First, knitting left-handed truely is knitting backwards. I have to look at the charts backwards, and if I'm knitting the "left-front" according to the pattern, I'm actually knitting the "right-front" for my project. I haven't had to make any major modifications to this pattern because of it, but it has been floating around in the back of my head.
The most important difference this makes is in the slant of decreases - they're opposite, so I have to be careful to switch them to make them slant the right way. I'm considering how that will play out in the shawl I'm knitting, and I'm going to have to swatch it to test the slant-layout and see if I need to change it to make it look good.

No comments: